Sunday, November 16, 2014

Spanish Civil War ramblings, and general complaining.

I've reached this point where I have so much to do, that figuring out where to start is making me delay.

Committing to one thing, automatically commits me to a slew of other things that must logically follow from the first commitment. And there's a list of them that all seem equally important.

Pricing paintings is so much harder for a commission, only really because of the fear of being rejected, which I imagine is much harder starting out than later down the road. I really want to do this painting though. Inspired from the book Death in Malaga, and then researching Robert Capa, a giant talent of a photographer who documented much of what was going on in Franco's territory.

The book Death in Malaga takes place from an American's point of view under the control of the Reds. His perspective is at no point as easy as their propaganda was romanticizing it to be. The moral of the story, whether you want to side with the Nationalists or Republicans on the political philosophy of how the people of Spain should have been governed there is the inescapable fact that atrocities were committed on both sides of this war, and from the atrocities the suffering looks to be about the same for all involved, either side, and eventually worse for the losers.

The human suffering is the point. When I look at Goya I don't care really, at least at first, who belongs to what ideology. I care about what my fellow humans are going through. If I'm to do this painting right I could go one of two ways, tell a direct scene take from the book, or try to capture the essence of the entire issue?

Both can work, I'm undecided. I have two completed sketches that will equally be worth telling, but I'm really leaning towards the sketch that aims to show the bigger picture...

So anyway, I need to get these sketches looked at by my patron so I can go from there 

No comments: